What is the ClimaCell API?
The ClimaCell API is a way for companies to easily incorporate ClimaCell’s weather information into their applications or to use the data for internal analysis.
What makes the ClimaCell API different from other weather API’s?
- Most weather APIs use traditional weather sources such as radar, weather stations, and satellite, many of which are government-based
- ClimaCell uses those same traditional sources but also new sensing technologies, including cell towers, not used by anyone else. This data has the following advantages over data from traditional weather APIs:
- Hyperlocal observation of weather: 500 meter radius observation vs. 2,000-4,000 meters
- Ground-level tracking: Precipitation as low as 30 feet off the ground vs. over 1,000 feet for radar.
- Up-to-date data delivery: Many weather APIs can deliver data every minute, but that data can be 5-20 minutes old (or older). ClimaCell delivers updated data every minute.
- NowCasting – ClimaCell provides minute-by-minute forecast data for 0-6 hours out. Most other APIs provide this data in 1 hour chunks vs. 1 minute.
How do I use the ClimaCell API?
To use the API you need to register and receive an API Key. Once you have the key, you can play with examples and make API calls.
Which format does the API support?
The ClimaCell REST API uses JSON for the requests and the responses.
Which time frames are available from the API?
The API can return data in the following different time frames:
- Historical – Data going back as far as 1997 is available depending on the parameter chosen. We also provide the last 6 hours of precipitation based on our proprietary technology.
- Real time – Real time weather based on our proprietary model
- Short-term Forecast (NowCast) – 6 hour proprietary NowCast data available for the next 6 hours in minute-by-minute intervals.
- Daily Forecast – The next 7 days forecast is available with morning and evening breakdowns. Temperature is available in C/F units. A human-friendly description of the day's weather is also provided.
Can I use time zone when specifying time?
Yes you can. The ClimaCell API accepts time in ISO8601 standard. The timestamps that the API returns are always in the UTC time zone.
Other than the data itself, what other API features are available?
- Weather Imagery (Visual Tiles) – For those who’d like to superimpose accurate weather on a map, we can help. With support for OpenLayers, Leaflets, MapBox, and Cesium, you can retrieve map tiles at any given moment per the historical information above.
- Weather Alerts – Proactive alerts are intended for those use cases where different weather situations must be acted on. To alleviate the need to constantly ping our system in anticipation of such important events, let our alert engine contact your system and/or personnel. The alert system can handle simple or complex weather conditions, for different types of users, across different communication media (webhooks, email, and SMS), at different forecast times (0-6 hours).
What weather information does the ClimaCell API have?
Please review the API Docs for a full list.
What is NowCasting?
“Nowcasting” is the art and science of making precision forecasts with very short lead-times, on the order of minutes to a few hours. In contrast with traditional forecasts, a nowcast provides near-term actionable information to consumers: when/where precipitation will start and end, when lightning or other hazards may impact an area, or similar. A typical nowcast has higher spatial resolution ( <2 km ) and time resolution ( <1 hour ).
How is ClimaCell's NowCasting different?
We've developed our own in-house “NowCast” model by combining state-of-the-science methods with unique data sources. Our approach allows us to rapidly update our forecast as new data comes in, and also lets us produce a more detailed, minute-by-minute forecast. In contrast, the type of nowcast you can get from traditional vendors like the National Weather Service is usually based on model simulations that are up to an hour out-of-date, and may only provide forecast information at hourly resolution. With our novel techniques, we can incorporate real-time details into each forecast: the most recent radar imagery, lightning strike data, and of course our proprietary precipitation observations. We're constantly innovating with our special approach to weather modeling in order to provide you the most accurate forecast faster than anyone else.
What units are used for the weather parameters?
For most parameters you can specify the units in the requests. We support Metric and Royal systems. Please refer to the API doc for a complete list.
Why would I get a “null” value returned for a certain weather parameter?
We combine information from a number of different sources into our API, including weather station data, to provide the most accurate data for a given location. In some cases, for example when a weather station is down, there may not be data available at that time.
Why would I be getting a 403 code?
You are probably using the wrong API Key, or have not included the key as an 'apikey' header. Please check the API Key page to retrieve your key.
How can I get more support?
You can get support by any of the following ways:
- Refer to the API documentation
- Use the conversation button at the bottom right of this site
- Contact climacell at: firstname.lastname@example.org or +1 (857) 214-5221